Oct 3, 2011

Suzanna Collins

Dear Ms. Collins,

I just wanted to take a moment and tell you how grateful I am for your books in the Hunger Game series.  I am grateful for whatever life experiences led you to become a writer and grateful to the influences that spawned the characters of said series.  I wonder how many hours of sleep I have lost because I stayed up until 4:30am reading only to wake up at 6:30am to fix a sippy cup of milk with cereal and a change a poopy.  You should know that I would do this again in a heartbeat.  If it was Hunger Games vs. Twilight, I would totally dress up as a mockingjay and cheer until the wee hours of the morning for Katniss Everdeen to kick those whiney teenagers and their vampy boyfriends in the butt.  I hope that the movies kick box office butt as well.  I do, however, wonder what happened at the end of the second book.  Was your publisher calling you nonstop giving you heck about turning in those last chapters?  Have you grown to loath your own creative genius and just squeezed out the last bit to tell your agent, "Here.  Done."

I'm only wondering because I imagine it would be a hard thing to do.  Finishing a book under less than ideal circumstances, I mean.  So much pressure!  Even without a horde of hungry fans (hardy har har) anxiously awaiting news concerning the fate of Peeta and Katniss or a money-guzzling publisher whom has long forgotten their idyllic beginnings as a young writer themselves breathing down your neck, their is the pressure that emanates from the very center of your own hard-nosed self.  Whew.  I sure don't envy you.  Okay, well maybe just a bit.  But I'm just letting you know, good job!  But please don't rush your writing anymore.  You eliminated about 75% of your awesomeness.  I finished reading the last book a full four days later than the first.  I gained approximately seven more hours of sleep reading the second book.  I hope the last one nearly makes me forget to fix that sippy cup of milk and change that poopy.  I hope my son has to rip the book out of my hands to play the chase game and pay him some dern attention it's just that good.  But really.  Congratulations on your accomplishments and best wishes for you future!

Sincerely,
Mama Boogie

No comments:

Post a Comment